When you volunteer at PAWS, you can choose to spend time with any animal that you want and do the work that you enjoy. If you do not have any specific activities you would like to carry out at the shelter, you will be assigned to the activities which may include cleaning the shelter area and spending time with the animals.
As a volunteer, you must be able to work independently as there will be minimal supervision and guidance during the volunteering activities.
The duration of volunteering is entirely up to you. Volunteering hours are open from:-
Monday – Sunday (except Wednesdays and Public Holidays):
10.00 a.m. – 12.00 p.m.
Wednesdays and Public Holidays:
CLOSED for maintenance
How to become a volunteer:
- All volunteers are required to fill in the online volunteer form before starting any volunteering work. If the form is not completed in full, you will not be authorised to volunteer at PAWS.
Junior Volunteer Form (for those aged 12 to 15 years requiring adult supervision)
- For volunteers who wish to come in, please call the office at 011-2193 5651 to make an appointment beforehand. Slot availability is on a first-come, first-served basis. The maximum number of volunteers the shelter can accommodate at any one time is 8 persons.
- For your first volunteering session, be sure to fill in the volunteer form above to register as a volunteer before starting any work. Once you have done this, you can get started right away and you will not be required to register anymore after your first session.
For student volunteers, please take note:
- Student volunteers, regardless of age, may only volunteer on weekdays (except Wednesdays). Please take note that we do NOT make an exception to this rule as we have a large number of working adult volunteers on weekends and cannot accommodate any more.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old. Volunteers aged 12 to 15 will require adult supervision during the entire length of the volunteer activities.
- Volunteers must be dressed appropriately. The recommended attire for volunteering is a comfortable t-shirt, long pants and closed-toe shoes for your safety. We will not be responsible for any harm caused as a result of non-compliance with the recommended attire.
- For volunteers who wish to walk the dogs, you must bring some poop bags along with you (preferably biodegradable ones). Alternatively, you can purchase them at the shelter (RM0.20 each). Volunteers are required to pick up after the dogs during the walk. You will not be allowed to take dogs for a walk if you do not have poop bags with you.
- Bring plenty of drinking water for yourself, and a change of clothes just in case things get messy.